Mexican Adventure

I just got home from my scouting trip to Oaxaca, Mexico. I was honored to travel with my good friend Jim and his dad who we affectionately refer to as Grandpa Jim. We ate tons of great food, walked for countless miles, climbed to the top of a mountain, toured a giant Catholic church, and did our best to have some fun along the way.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here I have included at least 22,000 words! Hope you enjoy...we sure did.
Jim, Grandpa Jim and I

Climbing the crazy metal staircase that led to the roof of our hotel.


Rooftop view of Oaxaca City

Local license plate

Giant Catholic Church in Oaxaca City

Married housing on the Global Frontier Missions base

We conquered this beast. (view from the GFM base)
Mission Training School (we got to participate in a mock Board Meeting)

We had to pull him out

Oaxacan stroller

Street in Tlaxiaco

locally farmed produce

Tlaxiaco Town Square

Typical public bathroom. Two pesos, please.

Get that corn out of my face!

GFM leadership staff (BIG Stryper fans!)

View of Tlaxiaco from the top of the mountain

Praying for the land

We loved this guy! They call him...Burger Boy.

I really missed Rachel.

Going home.
Global Frontier Missions is based in Tlaxiaco which is located about 3 hours north of Oaxaca City. They're doing some amazing works there and we look forward to joining them soon.
As I've traveled throughout the world, I've noticed a common theme. It's in the eyes of the children that I still see hope and joy. It was no different in Oaxaca. Though many of the older people had already been hurt and jaded by the cruelty of this world, almost every child I smiled at would smile back.
The Lord is good and we are grateful for this opportunity to serve in a place that is in need of so much. We are grateful to be able to go and tell others of His goodness in our lives.
Here's an excerpt from one of my recent journal entries, "Life was not meant to be easy with hot showers every day. Life is about cold showers, new languages and people, new foods, scary bus and plane rides, cramped living quarters, and a realization that I must decrease more and more everyday so that He may increase."

4 comments:

The Nagel Family said...

Amazing pictures! Thanks for sharing...The amazing thing about our God is that he is already wherever we are nervous to go. Love you...

D,C,H,A,P

Anonymous said...

Bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh...Heartache and sorrow...faith and obedience a road less traveled... a great commission to fulfill...He leaves the splendor of Colorado knowing his destiny is to be the lonely hills of Oaxaca.When the tears fill my eyes I will rededicate you to him who is able to keep you until we meet again. Love Pops

The Rogers Family said...

Love all of the pictures. Is the housing picture you showed where you will be living?

Chris L said...

WAIT a minute--I don't think anyone ever said we're big Stryper fans! Sure made for a good lip-sync act, though ;) It was great having you guys down here; we really enjoyed your visit. We'll keep you in our prayers.

Chris Leake