It Was A Great Father's Day!



To help celebrate Father’s Day, my friend/landlord, Jose Luis and I got up early, loaded up in his little VW Bug and drove up into the hills to go fishing. It was so beautiful watching the sun come up as we stood on top of a little dam. We cast our lines in and could actually see some fish swimming in the water down below us. For bait he mixed up a ball of flour and water, and we broke little pieces off and put them on our hooks. He assured me that the fish would like it, however, after two hours and only having caught one fish a piece, I think we’ll try something different next time.
On the way home, he asked me if I would like to go eat. Never one to turn down a meal, he was excited to take me to one his favorite spots. It was a little family run place only open on Sundays, and the food was great. This place doesn’t advertise at all, and I think it may have been a while since they had a gringo in there. Oh well, I’ve always liked to stand out in a crowd!
For lunch, Rachel, the kids and I went walking to find something fun to eat. On Sundays, there is not much open here in Tlaxiaco. After exploring our options, I decided on a double scoop, chocolate ice cream cone from the Nestle store. It was hot out and we all enjoyed our dripping treats in the central park.
Rachel made me some real Mexican food for dinner and the kids spoiled me with a really cool hand-made poster. They each bought me one of my favorite treats to eat and Smith bought me new sun glasses.
The fishing was poor, but the fellowship was rich. The weather was hot, but the ice cream was cold. It was a great day and I felt like a king.

5 comments:

Joia said...

Happy belated Father's day Jonboy! Smith, I like your "smooth like butter" shirt. It made me laugh!
I miss you all like crazy and cannot wait until you come home!

Love,
Aunt Joia

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful family! Thanks for the pictures...miss you guys!

Dave in San Fran

jcubsdad said...

Work away, fellowship away, and pray pray pray.

We love you guys, no put your plow in the soil and keep moving forward!

You are such a blessing to us here just by sharing. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I've been thinking and praying for you guys a lot lately. I hope you're all well, and are loving where you are-- right where God wants you! :)

I love you all,
Becky C

Stacey said...

What an amazing day!!!