We Have Work To Do!


The other night I was standing on the roof of our building praying for the people of Tlaxiaco, Mexico. Our apartment is located near the center of town and the third story roof provides a beautiful vista of the city’s shops, homes and people. I stood there watching young people in their school uniforms walking home with their friends. My attention fell on a couple of young men walking and laughing together in a way typical of American teens, but not commonly seen among Mexicans. I then realized that one of the guys was a missionary I’ve seen around town—a Mormon missionary.

The way to learn the language here, so they say, is to learn a few sentences and repeat them over and over to as many locals as you can in a day, making relationships and learning culture and local phrases, thus becoming part of the people you want to minister to. I’ve been doing my best, but it’s hard to walk around town saying, “I’m from the United States. I like Mexico. I would like to learn Spanish, little by little.” You feel like an idiot. I’ve had many people just stare and sheepishly smile as the crazy gringo says random things and then leaves.

But, as I watched how accepted that young Mormon missionary was by the young people, I got angry and suddenly decided that I wasn’t about to let the Mormons have this town. They can’t have it…it belongs to the Lord. And if I have to be a little uncomfortable for a few weeks so people will notice how friendly and humble Christian people are, it is a small price to pay.

Davis has been asking the last few days to go to the “Blue Park”. For those of you who live in Colorado Springs, that is what we call the “America the Beautiful” park. When he says that it makes me long to grant his wish for many reasons. But I have to tell him and myself: We have work to do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post! Love you all...

D,C,H,A,B

The Rogers Family said...

Hey! Next time you leave a post about one of the kids being so sick, make sure you check back in with those of us at home praying for you so that we know everything is ok!!!
We love you...
Comfort

Stacey said...

It was good to hear from you guys! :o) Take Care!