Gooooooooooal!



The night before last, I played in my first soccer game since 6th grade. A bunch of us guys here on the base decided to put together a team to compete in one of the local leagues. About the only rule I remebered was that you can't touch the ball with your hands.

The Mexican players that we played against obviously had been playing since birth, maybe even came out of the womb with cleats on, and quite possibly had always be on the same team with eachother. They wove the ball in and out of us and made us look like we were standing still. Ouch!

Long story short...we got our butts kicked! The highlight for me, however, came early in second half of the game. I took a pass from our team captain and found myself in open field with nothing between me and the goalie. After a few dribbles to get the ball under control, I took a swing and scored my first goal EVER!!! Our bench erupted with joy and you would have thought that we just won the World Cup. I was the hero of night and all day yesterday. It felt great!

Over the next 7 months of Missionary Training School I will be reading at least 60 books. I just added a new gadget on the right bar of our blog to highlight one of the books I'm reading each week. You can read along if you like and see a glimpse of what we're learning. This week is "Death to Self" week. We're having our worlds turned upside down as we study "Me centered" theology vs. "God centered" theology. My favorite quote from the Piper book I just finished is, "God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in Him." To think that everything exists to glorify God and not me. What a concept. To God be ALL the glory!

3 comments:

Michele said...

Good work on the goal! Very exciting! Camden has been born with "brazilian" blood and LOVES to kick around the soccer ball...all the while yelling GOOOOAAAALLLLLLLLLL! :) And yes, I do believe they are born with a "football" gene.

jcubsdad said...

Man, I thought I read a lot. You go guys! I will try to keep up, but undoubtedly will get snowed.

The thought of you getting rocked by a bunch of locals at football is rather.. funny actually.

We love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Not sure what your doing but I miss the blogs.....