Hunger in the land


A few of the books I had the pleasure of reading during training.

To desire to hunger after God and to actually have a hunger for God are entirely two different things. One may lead to the other, but they should not be confused as being identical.
Having finished our formal missions training earlier this month, we’ve been spending the last several days seeking God and His next step for our lives. One morning I was awoken by a phone call from my friend Jordan. He had traveled down to Oaxaca City with several teenagers to attend a youth conference. His excitement was contagious on the phone and within half an hour I had kissed Rachel and the kids, and with a change of clothes and my sleeping bag I made the 3 hour trip down the road.
I haven’t hung out with a lot of teenagers in the States, but these kids down here really blew my mind. Many of them were dressed like punks, but any time we started praying or worshipping, they were hard to keep up with. The two nights I was there, we didn’t stop singing or dancing until after 1:00 in the morning. Wow! Being in a stadium where all 7,000 people are dancing at once is an experience I will not soon forget.
As I think about church history and the different revivals that have taken place, the tangible presence of God seems to be the common denominator. Yet, it doesn’t seem to be something one can conjure up. I always crack up a little bit when I drive by a church and see a big banner advertising the upcoming, “REVIVAL.”
So…if it’s the presence of God that truly changes people’s lives…what are we doing about it? Is there anything we can do about it? Maybe.
The Spirit of God seems to come in a tangible form to those that are most hungry. To those that hunger and thirst for Him and Him alone. It brings me to my original point: I think many of us desire to be hungry for God…yet that’s where it ends. To push through that and get to a place where I want nothing else, no one else, where He is the only thing that will satisfy…is where I want to be. I’m not sure how to get there, but that’s what I want.
After a year in Mexico I think we’ve developed many valuable friendships and relationships. But it’s also becoming blindingly clear that if all of Mexico, or even just all of our little city here in the mountains is to come to know the Creator of the universe, they are going to have to have an encounter with His presence.
Anyways…just a few of the thoughts currently bouncing around in my head. When you think of our family this month, please pray for us and our future direction. We’re not sure where or when to go from here. We’re excited about the future…just a little unclear right now.

5 comments:

jcubsdad said...

And if your time in Mexico does not become "fruitful" in the conventional sense and all you learned when you walk away from your missions training is that, you would be all the better for it.

Big plans Oso, Big plans. God has then for you and the family... I am praying they come to fruition soon. And, I am selfishly praying they bear fruit that says spend a few weeks in Colorado before your next assignment.

Man we miss you guys here.

joyhopepeace said...

I was going to put a book in your care package, but now that I see your library, I am reconsidering. :0) We all want to know your favorites. You should have been putting these on goodreads.

jcubsdad said...

How was Every Woman's battle there Oso? (lol)

Michele said...

Sending my prayers and my love up to Mexico! Praising God for you guys!

Stacey said...

We are praying for you guys!!! Love ya bunches.