God is good!



When I was younger my family went to a church where the pastor would often say, "God is good!" and the well-trained monkeys would all respond, "All the time!"

In considering going into full-time missions, we read a lot of books by those who had gone before us. So many great faith filled stories...so many lessons they shared with us. Call it naivety, but I really thought that we could skip these lessons. [cue laughter]

Shortly after leaving my job, I had a dream one night that I was checking my online bank account and was excited to see that someone had deposited $10,000. I woke up thrilled and with a sense that maybe I really wouldn't have to see any hard times...maybe I already knew everything I needed to know to be a successful missionary.

...We were half way into a road trip to Montana this summer. It was a beautiful evening as we decided it was time to look for a camping spot. We had made it to the north end of Wyoming (code for THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE) when I felt the gas peddle go all the way to the floor and the van slipped out of gear. Our miracle transmission, that really should have been replaced three years ago, finally had bit the dust. We were scared, so we went to the Lord in prayer. He gave Rachel and I the same person to call. He had a lot of experience buying and selling cars and we were hoping for some good advice. He did much more than that...after calling him back with an estimate of $2,500, without flinching he wired the money right over...

...With bills overdue and groceries running out, things looked bleak. As we pulled into the garage after a doctor's appointment, our oldest son Smith came running out with a wad of cash in his hand. One of our friends had come by and given us close to $300. This was the exact amount we needed to pay the bills and buy some food...

These amazing stories go on and on. Money showing up, not always when we want it, but always when we need it. And simple things like a half-used bottle of shampoo and the laundry detergent that a friend didn't like...they gave it to us, and several months later we're still using it!

I'm still waiting for that $10,000 deposit, but one of the biggest lessons I have learned on this path is that God is good. Feelings and emotions will lie to you and circumstances are constantly changing, but God is always on your side, never changing, and always wants the best for you. He is not a liar and when He says something is going to happen...it always does. We just have to choose to believe it.

"God is good...All the time!"


2 comments:

jcubsdad said...

WHEW....Now THAT my friend is exiting. It is so great to see God being so Good to those who are faithful to follow him.

Keep up the good work. If you need half used shampoo (I, like you, dont use much these days) or some used boy clothing... or anything really just call!

we love you guys. We are going to miss the fact we did not hang out with you enough when you were here...and now you are going! :(

Anonymous said...

God answers my desperate prayers and all my prayers seem to be that way...I used to sing a song when you were little by Dallas Holm..I have never seen the righteous forsaken nor his seed begging for bread. I have never seen God's people with a need that he could not meet. You have cast your bread upon the water and God is not a man that He should lie neither the son of man that he should repent hath He said and shall He not do it hath He spoken and it not come to pass... GOD is faithful Love you forever Pop's