Feliz Cumpleanos A Mi!







Yesterday I turned 32 years old. Being in Mexico I didn’t expect a whole lot for my birthday. So, my number one birthday wish came true when I got to take a shower all by myself with just me a tank of hot water and the spiders. After that I was greeted with a birthday table runner decorated by the kids, and a plate full of chocolate-chip pancakes a la Jon. Then it was off to the Miracle Mobile for a birthday adventure run into town.
So far we’d only gone into town as far as the Walmart-like store called Bodega Aurrera. It’s not Walmart, but it’s way better than a Wyoming Pamida. Jon was driving further into town in search of Puebla’s centro. After about an hour of driving around, we realized that Puebla is A LOT bigger than we thought. We passed a Carl’s Jr. burger place, a Burger King, couldn’t find the alleged Starbuck’s, but Jon bought me a Mocha Frio from The Italian Coffee Company. Super yummy-oso!
Jon found this hole-in-the-wall restaurant and with his suave Spanish ordered our family three specials. I think this might be my favorite restaurant in Mexico. This guy brought mango juice in a carafe, a four course meal of bread, rice, soup, delicious chicken, salad, and a rice pudding dessert. All of that only cost $12. It was the beest! Then Jon used his super internal navigational system and somehow found our way home. I was very impressed.
The past few days Jon had been telling me that he himself would make my birthday cake. I laughed when I saw it…can you see why? It sure did taste good though. Then I was presented with a small stack of creatively wrapped presents. So sweet! We ended the day by snuggling up together to watch the movie “Encantada.” That was my big present…luckily you can watch it in English. It was a little too scary for Diego but the rest of us enjoyed it thoroughly.
It was a great day! (much better than last year!)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So Glad you had a good day to celebrate. You guys are so brave to travel and look for places like that cool restaurant. I could never have done it. Thank you God for sending my son instead of me. I wish I could reach through the computer and hold that chubby little baby. So cute. Love you all. Mom

The Nagel Family said...

Happy Birthday Rachel! You look great...We are thinking of you daily and pray for God's direction and will to be done for all...kiss the kids for us.

Dave, Christina, Herbie, Allie, Baby (20 days till debut)

Michele said...

Happy Birthday Rachel!!!!!! It sounds like you had a fantastic birthday. Carl's Jr? Burger King? I'm very impressed. Oh what I would give for a Starbucks treat! I'm sure the shower was the highlight of the day!!! Especially if you took it alone with no interruptions. Bless you guys!! Miss you!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Darlin'!! Sounds like you had a wonderful day. I pray you have an even more wonderful year filled with God's grace and lovingkindness.

love,
Becky

P.S. Long Live Chocolate Oreos!!

Anonymous said...

Didn't I take you to Pamida last year for your birthday?
Lennie

Stacey said...

Happy Birthday!!! It sounds like you had a very special celebration, filled with many surprises and blessings. :o)

This Mama said...

Happy Birthday Rachel!!! Miss you!