Tampico

Mom loves Walmart


Ay Caramba!
Check out the various contents!
Hi kids, I'm the Banana Man
Sweet boy "Spatula City!" A Mexican dollar store
Chillin'
View from our window
Praise God for cribs!
Our tiny room

Check out those guns!


Today I am sitting in a hotel room with Ax sleeping in the borrowed cuna (crib) using all the internet I can before going back to the 1950’s. Yesterday we bought all the things we would need for a while, and then proceeded to get lost on the Mexican highways until it was dark. I think the roads turn to hot lava that eats cars at night, so we drove back into Tampico to find a hotel room. Just a few hours before I had asked the Lord if we could someday stay in one of the nice hotels here. So here we are with free WiFi and breakfast. Jon and the kids are swimming in the empty pool. Everyone in all of Mexico is at the beach today because it is Santa Semana. The “Holy Week” of celebration preceding Easters. And apparently they all stay in hotels as well. We got the last room at the Inn and it is gorgeous. The view from the 7th floor is beautiful in the daytime. You can see the water. Down in the lobby you can get almost anything you might need in the vending machine. From chips to cigarettes to matches to hair gel to pan dulce to what I think is a diaper wrapped in cellophane, you name it. We chose the toothbrush taped to travel toothpaste combo. 35 pesos.

So, I am going to email for an hour. Take a 30 minute hot shower. Go back to Wal-Mart if only just to buy some gum because Wal-Mart is my favorite! Take my kids to McDonald’s for lunch (enjoy that guys). And maybe even get some ice cream at Baskin Robin’s. Then we will check the map thoroughly and head on back to the Rancho del Reyo.

The Lord is our good Father who gently molds and trains us for heavy stuff while also making our dreams and desires a reality. He’s my favorite.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you too Wal-Mart, McDonalds and the ice cream shop! Thank you Lord for knowing our favorites! Have fun girl! Love you, Christina

Anonymous said...

Great post Rachel...Jon and Smith great to talk to you for a few special moments...We ae thinking of you often! I can't wait to take our family down to visit with you in the future...

Blessings,

Dave

jcubsdad said...

Check out those guns???

I thinkst you mean moobs!!

Just getting back at you for the last little barb there John.


All our love to you and the kids. Glad to hear all is well in Nagel Land!

Anonymous said...

Great great pictures. I touch the screen and pretend I can touch all those precious faces. So glad you had a little break from your initial cultural shock. I know what you're doing isn't really easy but God is good to give you blessings along the way. Take care as you read the map and travel back to the ranch. Love, Mom

Michele said...

Walmart?!?! I'm SOOOOOO jealous! Here in Americana, Brazil we have a knock-off Walmart (yes-a knock-off walmart, you heard me correctly), that is called BIG. But it's not even close to how cool Walmart is. (I can't believe I just wrote that last sentence. It's amazing how your perception changes in a foreign country.) HA!

Joia said...

These pictures make Aunt Joia's heart happy! I love you guys so much...miss your voices!

Joia

Stacey said...

Great pictures! It is good see everyone's smiling faces. I am glad that you got to have some fun at Wally World!