It's Good To Be Back

Our sleepy travelers
Almost there!

Paying one of the endless tolls

Standing in the Walmart in Harlingen, TX, Rachel and I looked at each other and with tears in our eyes, we started to laugh. We both knew that we were simply wasting time trying to get the absolute most out of our last few moments in America. We love America! We love how easy and convenient EVERYTHING is…and I especially love how smooth all the roads are. Simply amazing!
No one was forcing us to go back to Mexico, and we knew that if we stayed in America, no one would love us any less. However, it comes down to a point where you look at yourself in the mirror, you examine yourself deep within, and you realize that none of this is about us. It’s not about our comfort or our pleasure. It’s not about having everything we want or even being happy with the things we do have. It’s not about us.
Driving 6,703 miles gives you a lot of time to think. Over the next several days I’m going to try to get some of these thoughts written down and I’ll try to share them with you. One of the big ideas I’ve been thinking about is: Perspective. The trip to the States took a toll on us physically and financially. However, the return we’ve received simply in perspective is totally worth it.
Crossing the border was a breeze. Actually, we’ve yet to even have our passports looked at. The guards asked me to step out of the vehicle and they poked their heads in and said hello to Rachel and the kids. They asked me to open the back doors but I told them all of our clothes and food would fall out if we did and they said not to worry about it. And it was the same drill at every checkpoint along the way. They like to know where you’re coming from and where you’re going. I think mainly, they like to pull us over to practice their English. The longest stop along the way included a search of Rachel’s purse and my computer bag while the guard holding the huge rifle tried to get Ax to say, “hola.” Yet they still never checked our passports or looked in the back of the van.
When we were down here before, I always felt a bit trapped. A little bit of the “this is the end of the world” syndrome. Coming back I realize that a switch has been flipped. Things that made me feel threatened before, I now enjoy. Areas where I felt un-secure before…I now feel safe. I think it helps me to remember that at any moment we can drive or fly right out of here. With all that being said, I feel my level of love for Mexico and the people of Mexico has quadruplicated. Culture shock—gone! Fear of driving here—gone!
It’s good to be back.

2 comments:

Michele said...

So glad you made it back safe and sound. I love the pic of all the kids sleeping in the car. Classic! Blessings as you begin the fall season.....although with no "Fall" weather. It's turning spring here now....crazy!

Stacey said...

Glad to hear that you guys are back safe and sound. I love the picture of the kids sleeping. I remember when I used to be able to sleep in really weird postions and wake up ready to "go". Now if I sleep in a weird position, I am lucky to even be able to stand up straight for the rest of the day! Love you guys!!!