I've Got a Golden Ticket


In the new version of “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”, there is a scene where Charlie is verbally contemplating selling his golden ticket to help provide financially for his family. His grouchy grandpa pulls him aside and says something to the effect of, “Charlie, there is plenty of money in the world. In fact, they print more every day. But this is a once-in-a-life-time opportunity which you must not pass up!”
I’ve never been very good at being your typical anything. After a year of being a full-time missionary, I find that I’m not a very good at fitting that mold either. I still love to drink a Guinness with my friends. I still cuss. And on cold nights, I still love to sneak out to have a puff on my corn-cob pipe.
Despite the many flaws in my life, the Lord continues to use me and my family. When we came to the States for a visit this last summer, Rachel and I could barely tolerate the idea of going back to Mexico. It made us sick-to-the-stomach. Before we crossed the border, we stopped at a Walmart in Harlingen, TX. After doing some shopping and dragging our feet, we looked at each other and with tears in our eyes we started to laugh. We both agreed that no one was forcing us to go back, but if we didn’t, we would never know.
Going back was one of the best decisions I have made in my life. The progress we’ve made with the language and the many Mexican friendships that have developed over the past four months are priceless to us. Especially, my friend Chava the carpenter. Working side-by-side with him, eating meals in his house, and getting to know all of his family and extended family, has been a delight to my soul. I would love for them all to fall in love for Jesus. So much we would have missed out on if we would not have pushed past the pain of our emotions.
Strangely enough, as much as we love visiting all of our family and friends, it now pains me very much to be away from Mexico. I can’t wait to get back!
We do need money to get back. The training program that we are going through costs $8,000. We told them we would try to have $4,000 to them in January, $2,000 in February, and the final $2,000 in March. At this point…we have a long way to go.
We are also currently raising up a team of 30 supporters that will commit to at least $50 a month to cover our expenses. We’re about half-way there.
I’m not a fan of using the guilt-you-into-it method, or even using phrases like, “Partner with us.” They all feel too cheesy to me. The simple truth is…we need money. If you’re looking for a good cause to give to, we’re it. This is our once-in-a-life-time opportunity, this is our golden ticket, and we don’t want to pass it up!
Here’s a guarantee that we can offer you: When you give to the Nagels you will never get the typical results because quite frankly…we are anything but typical!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Add our family to your "30 Supporter" challenge. It is great to hear your heart for the people of Mexico. We'll send you an e-mail soon.

Unconditionally Yours.

Michele said...

I love your heart....and honesty. It's hard being honest, but God rewards our obedience in it. Bless you guys as you raise your support. We love you!! When are you heading back?

Heather McCullough said...

We are all praying for you guys and can't wait for you to come back. It is definitely NOT the same without you! I MISS YOU GUYS!

God will provide and my prayer is that in this time you see Him in a new was and truly understand how much you can rely on Him in the impossible situations.

Anonymous said...

hope you can get a handle on the cussing and drinking....even i dont do that......

jcubsdad said...

"We aren't your typical missionaries" that is the understatement of the year my friend.

We loved catching up with you guys a little bit last week. Hang in there, keep spreading the fleece and manna from heaven will be sure to fall. ( I know, mixing my biblical stories and metaphors there) but hey, it works.

Anonymous said...

Where are you now? We miss you Nagels. Would love to hear an update on how you are.