Journey to the Center of the Earth



One night while we were in the States some of our friends asked us some detailed questions about driving through Mexico. That got me reflecting on the AWESOME grace and mercy the Lord has shown us on all the crazy Mexican highways. This last trip down was just as amazing. Half an hour into the country I did get pulled over for speeding and had to pay a $100 peso bribe…and that was not fun. But it was a good reminder to slow down and obey the laws of the land.
Another time, while reaching down to grab a cookie, I missed an exit. Not a big deal, but it did send us on a two hour detour and got us stuck in traffic in some random city…also, not fun. Live and learn. I was so frustrated the whole time we were lost but I kept sensing that we were avoiding something bad with the delay. Sure enough, a couple hours down the road, the highway was backed up for miles with what appeared to be a bad accident. We were directed to a old cobblestone highway that was shaded with a canopy of trees. We got to travel on that for about an hour and it was beautiful.
40 hours of driving gives you A LOT of time to think. Someday I’ll get all those thoughts written out, but this blog is not that time.
I had borrowed a Monster energy drink from Jim’s garage and I saved it for the last leg of the journey. I’d never drank one of those before. WOW! My whole body was asleep by the time we got here, but my mind and my eyes would not shut off ‘til several hours later.
Getting back to Tlaxiaco is amazing. When we left here, the climate was very cold and winter-like. We returned to Spring/early Summer conditions. I love it!
We also returned to great news about my carpenter friend Chava and his cousin “Fat Chava” (we call him “Fat Chava” because they’re both named Chava and he is the fatter one)…I know, very creative. Anyways, both of these men have become very interested and receptive towards spiritual things. Please be praying that the Holy Spirit will continue to move in their lives. They both have so much family here that if they really get lit on fire for God and their families follow…watch out Mexico!
Money-wise, things are going great! We’re at 26 of 30 days covered. We still have four slots available, so if you’d like to join “Team Nagel” please do not delay. We also found out today that we’ve had about $3000 come in toward our $8000 tuition fees. Praise God!
So, we’re busy getting back into the groove of our Mexican lifestyle. We are happy to be here and it’s so exciting to see all the great things that the Holy Spirit is doing here. I sense that a revolution is brewing down here and when it really takes off it will be like trying to hang on to the bumper of a speeding car!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear the details of your trip back to Mexico. I had a dream that you were lost and now I know why. We're so glad you got to spend Christmas with us this year. I'm busy printing off pictures of everyone to put in our picture frames. God bless you as you continue your Missionary Journey. Love you, Mom and Dad

Michele said...

Yay! So glad you made it back, safe and sound, even with a little delay. Praise God for finances coming in! (I see from the picture, that just like Brazil, in Mexico car-seats are optional.) Sometimes that's a good thing, most of the time it's not. Enjoy Mexico!

jcubsdad said...

God is good my friend. I am so glad that you had a safe trip.

Take care and we are praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Amazing story Jon! We are praying for God's grace and strength on the journey. Love you,

Dave and Christina

Stacey said...

Glad that you guys made it home safely...your story brings to mind that if we seek after the Lord, He will direct our path...even if it is a two hour detour...He still will bless us. :o)