Working With Wood



A few days a week, me and one of my friends Jordan go into town and work at the carpenter shop with our friend Chava. Chava is what I would consider a "Man of Peace" in this region. He is respected, influential, and quite open to spiritual things. I've really enjoyed getting to know him and his family.
Almost every time we go to work there, Chava's cousin, who we refer to as "Fat Chava", and his neighbor Edgar come and hang out with us as well. In Latin American cultures, I am learning that priority is always placed on relationship, rather than how much work you can get done each day. Many times we will stand around in the shop just talking, getting to know about each other and our families. It's a great time and I'm constantly blown away by how open all three of these men are to the ideas of following Jesus.
One day back in November, we were processing a bunch of lumber when Chava asked me if we needed any furniture for our apartment. I told him that we would love to have a table and he promptly pulled four boards out of the pile and set them aside. The next week, leading up to Thanksgiving, he stopped all his other work and taught me how to build the table above. I wanted to surprise Rachel with it, though it was driving her crazy that I was spending every free moment at the shop. I kept telling her to be patient and that soon she would understand. On Thanksgiving morning, I went down to the shop and helped Chava load the table into the back of Edgar's truck. When we delivered it to our apartment, Rachel was quite pleased and I think she pretty much forgave me for being away so much.
Please be praying with us for Chava, Fat Chava, and Edgar. All three of these men have a lot of family here in Tlaxiaco and I sense that if they really fall in love with Jesus, our time here will be short.

4 comments:

jcubsdad said...

I would like to place an order for some book cases, maybe in cherry wood?

WOW, I mean wow that looks awesome. Sharing the gospel, learning to work with wood... you are going to learn a great trade, something a missionary from Nazareth once did.

Anonymous said...

It's funny how God really does know the desires of our heart isn't it? I know you've always wanted to build things, from the time you were a little boy. The table is beautiful and Dad and I are proud of you.

Michele said...

What a beautiful table! I'm sure Rachel loved the surprise and is thankful for it everyday. It truly is a blessing. We love you guys and believe in you. Keep up the amazing work you are doing.

Stacey said...

The table is beautiful! Those men sound like amazing people. It sounds like God has really "hooked" you guys up down there with some great people!!!