Happy 4th of July!!


One of the funny things about living in Mexico is that there are seemingly no laws or codes regarding noise. At any given hour of any given day, music, firecrackers, or giant speakers strapped to the roofs of cars advertising this or that, can be heard from all over our city. I do like the tradition, here in Tlaxiaco, of playing “Ave Maria” on the radio every day to announce the noon hour. I get frustrated with the music the young people listen to. So many of them long to be “cool” like their American counter-parts and end up listening to music with English lyrics, which in my opinion, is terrible. I feel bad for them that they don’t really understand what they’re listening to.
Walking the same streets every day, saying hello to the same people over and over again, at times can seem pointless. What I’ve noticed though is that out on the streets, in the market place, in the stores where we shop, and here in our apartment complex, a gradual wearing down of resistance and fear is beginning to take place. As the people of this fine city see us day in and day out living with them and doing life the same way they do, it’s as if they realize, we may talk funny and look different, but we’re really just people. Maybe not the kind of white people they’re use to seeing on TV and movies their whole lives…but I think that’s a good thing.
Ax and I went for a walk through the town square this afternoon. In this macho society I don’t think it’s very common for the men to carry babies on their backs. Wow, did we get stared at. I did get more smiles than I usually do when I’m by myself. For some reason, man with baby is more approachable than big-bald-white-man-with-big-red-beard by himself. Go figure.
Many of the outward walls of buildings and houses here are deteriorating or covered with graffiti. Not very attractive! However, right inside many of the walls, are beautiful gardens and courtyards. It does not cease to amaze me. Each time I get to see past the outer wall, I’m blown away. The same can be said for our relationships here. As the walls of fear and prejudice are broken down, bit-by-bit, and we’re able to see each other eye to eye, it’s a beautiful thing.
With those thoughts in mind, Rachel and I were talking with the kids over dinner about our upcoming visit to the States. I was reading today about “Reentry” and “Reverse Culture Shock” and how it can be especially hard on your children. From this end of the microscope it’s hard to imagine that we’ve changed that much. I hope like chameleons we will blend in easily and smoothly…but we’ll see.
This is the second time Rachel and I have celebrated the 4th of July out of the country. The first time, we were on a mission trip to Thailand and to celebrate all the members of our team bunched together in our little hotel room in Bangkok and said the Pledge of Allegiance to a post card with an American flag on it. Hopefully, we’ll come up with something a little more exciting this time. Hope you have a fun day!

3 comments:

Joia said...

Davis...you better be ready, because Aunt Joia is going to hold you and kiss you and hug you and hold you and kiss you and hug you and hold you and kiss you and hug you as long as she can!!!! Same goes for your siblings!!!!!!!!! I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU!!!!!!!!

LOVE YOU!

Stacey said...

I will be praying for you guys to have a smooth transition, both into the states and back into Mexico! I know that God will give you the Grace that you need, but also allow your eyes to be open to the things that He wants to show you even during that time!! Love you guys!

Michele said...

Wow, Mexico sounds so much like Brazil! The fireworks, music, and speakers on tops of cars advertising. Funny, huh? Also the outside walls of homes being huge gates, and deteriorated while inside it's fairly nice. Don't you miss beautiful front lawns and back yards????? I do. :) You'll have a wonderful time in the states! As I always say when I re-enter the U.S........GOD BLESS THE USA!!!!