My Favorite Person in the World

My husband, the superstar.


When I was single, I was advised to comprise a list of attributes of what I was looking for in a husband, so as to know exactly what I was looking for. I found all those things and more in Jon Nagel. #14-Musical. HA!!! I got the one-man band. #7-Funny. He would swim in a fountain naked just to get me to stop being mad at him. #1-Loves God. I remember distinctly having a clear conversation with the Lord about him. You know, one of those times when you know that the God of all the earth is taking time to pay attention to your life and speak to you. He let me know that He liked Jon a lot.

Ten years have passed. A lot of it was fun. Some of it was sad. Sometimes I wanted to move off the planet earth just to get away. I had to learn a lot about life and God and maturity and real love. I still have a lot to learn. But if I were to do my list over again, I think it might be a little different. #3-Good father. He’s not perfect, but perfect isn’t what the kids need. They need someone to point them to their Father God. You’re doing a good job, Jon. #2-Able to Listen to the Lord. That is a hard thing to gauge, because it is about his personal relationship with the Lord, but I think when he comes to me and apologizes for being wrong, I know he’s listening to the Lord. No other voice would tell him to do that.

Now, I know that my old list is still fulfilled, but so much more than I had originally imagined. Jon is not just “musical”, when he sings me that one song, he has a voice that makes me melt in my skin. #7-Funny. Sometimes, in the middle of all the stress that living in a foreign country and low bank balances and four kids and camping for five months puts on our relationship, he can do something to make me laugh until my abs ache. But #1 is still “Loves God”. This is why I love my husband. After ten years with Jon Nagel, I’ve seen him look good and, let’s be honest, I’ve seen things that make me want to throw up. But through everything, he’s the only man I know who would give up the security of friends, family, money, identity in a career, “good sense”, and reputation to have the chance to truly follow God to the ends of the earth. So, if I truly do major on the majors, He is still number one on my list.

I love you Jonny!!! OOXXoXx

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Rachel...you have a great guy and he has himself a great wife!

jcubsdad said...

Rachel,

We stand prepared to help you take those scales off your eyes so that you can see the REAL Jon Nagel (lol)

Nope, you got him, you have trained him well and we are very lucky to have you guys as friends.

Take care.

Anonymous said...

cute cute cute cute cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm gonna write out a list right now :-) good idea!

ps. I'm at work. hehehe.

-Emsky