Time For A Break!


Thanks to all our generous supporters this month, we are coming home! Halleluiah!!! We had been hoping to visit the States over the month of August. We recently found out that some of our best friends, Jim & Shiloh Nowlin, will be gone the whole month of August serving on a short term team in China. Of course we had to change our plans!
New plans: We will be leaving here on the 12th of July and will be in the States through the 1st week of August. School is supposed to start here for Smith and Zaisy on August 20th and this will give us about another month in Mexico to work on our language skills before our official training starts with Global Frontier Missions in September.
To say we’re excited about a visit to the States would be an understatement. Simply thinking about visiting family and friends, shopping at our favorite stores, and eating at our favorite restaurants is already refueling our tanks. Besides that…drinking from the tap, using toilet seats, and feeling soft luxurious carpet between our toes, is a thrilling thought.
I used to think that missionaries that took furloughs were just wimps. I guess I’m a wimp. By the time we pull out of here, we will have been in country for 4 ½ months. Wow! Where does time go? It will be strange to be able to walk into stores and banks and be able to communicate effectively and smoothly. It will be strange to not be gawked at everywhere we go. Don’t get me wrong, we love being here and the relationships we have already begun to develop here in Tlaxiaco will forever be priceless, but…we could sure use a break.
We did meet a girl at the fruit market near our apartment named Laura. Like so many families here in Tlaxiaco, her husband left her and their son 5 years ago to pursue a better life for them in America. She hasn’t seen him since, yet has contact information for him in Colorado Springs. We were blown away to find out he lives very close to where our old house is located. We told her we would try to look him up while we’re there. Should be interesting.
One funny thing is that on July 25th Rachel and I will celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary. I had always hoped to be able to take her to Mexico or somewhere exotic to celebrate. Now she’s excited that I’m taking her to the States to celebrate. We’ll also be able to celebrate both Smith and Davis’ birthdays while we are there. Fun!
We went out to the base the other day to do some laundry and take the Miracle Mobile for a drive. It was good to remember what it feels like to drive. When we first got to Tlaxiaco, after bottoming out on countless speed-bumps, I decided to take the running boards off our van. I’ve been quite pleased with that choice as it gives us a good extra six inches of clearance. One of our friends here named Mario saw us driving and now keeps offering to buy it from me. I told him I won’t take anything less than 5 milking cows. He’s trying to talk me down to 4, but I’m not budging. Not sure what I will do if he actually shows up with 5 cows at my door.
We look forward to being able to see as many of you as possible. If you plan on being out of town from July 12th-Aug. 10th…can you please change your plans? Just kidding. No I’m not.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How exciting! Can't wait to see you all. Love you bunches :)

D,C,H,A,B

Anonymous said...

Yay!! I can't wait to see you guys! Ben is always asking where Zaisy and Smith are. He'll be thrilled when I tell him!

Love,
Becky and the Cremos

Stacey said...

I wish there was a way for me to get to Colorado Springs while you guys are going to be there. I would LOVE to see you guys!

Just wait until you guys know the language really good in Mexico and you come to the States and can't remember what the word is in English. NOW that has to be a weird feeling. I have a friend who lives in Germany as a missionary and sometimes when she come back to the States, she has to "search" for the right word to say in English!

Michele said...

Yay! So glad you're able to take a break, back in the states. Just from experience, the wealth there will sicken you, but you'll absolutely enjoy it while you're there. Then when you return, it might be a little difficult because you'll get a taste of your "former" life and miss it awhile when you're back in MX. That's what happened to me anyway. I LOVED being back in the states though, and it only took me a few days of adjustment back here in Brazil. It definitely gets easier. Wish I could be there to hug you guys!!!

Anonymous said...

a break

jcubsdad said...

cant wait to see u guys.... we will be around, you can help us move!

take care.. see you soon!