Good Book!

I just finished reading, "The Supernatural Power of a Transformed Mind" by Bill Johnson. Great book! It has really made me do some thinking and some soul searching.
The last chapter talks about heroes of the faith like, Smith Wigglesworth, Aimee Semple McPherson, and the Wesley brothers. Here's a brief excerpt: "They didn't start out as giants but they were possessed by a passion to pursue new territories that had not been occupied before, even when all logic and reason warred against them. They were like people on safari chopping down undergrowth in the jungle to move into uninhabited territory. They were fed up with seeing one standard in the Bible and another standard in their experience. That discontentment caused them to move dangerously into territory that had been inhabited by wild beasts, if you will."
He goes on to make a case, that if we would have ran with what these people fought for, if we would have made their celing our floor, where would we be today? Instead, we build memorials and monuments to the work they did and then don't do anything more.
He uses Luke 11:24-26 as an example. It's the story about the unclean spirit going out of a man. After going through dry places and seeking rest, finding none, he decides to go back. Finding the place put in order he goes and takes seven other spirits more wicked than himself and the last state of that man is worse than the first.
The idea behind this all, is that when men and women rise up and take new territory and develop it, and then the next generation just tries to sit on it thinking it's "good enough", bad things will happen. I've heard people say that if you're not progressing and growing in your faith each day, then you are back-sliding.
He uses many real life examples to illustrate this point, but the one that really stuck with me is the Methodist church. John Wesley and his brother saw amazing moves of the spirit throughout their ministry. Instead of the church taking and running with what they had learned, they sat on it. Just recently the Methodist church ordained their first lesbian minister. Ouch!
I am fed up with seeing one standard in the Bible and another standard in my day-to-day experience! I know there is more. I look forward to moving into dangerous territory that has been held by the devil and his wild beasts for too long. And when my life here is done, I hope my children will make my ceiling their floor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to leave your comfort zone and think outside that box, the box some else has set up for you.

jcubsdad said...

When your arms tire and the machette gets dull, come on by and let me help you sharpen it. I may be in Colorado and you in Mexico, but I will pray for a machette that never dulls for you to clear away the verge in the jungle so that people can see clearly.

I sure am getting exited for you guys!