Cheese and Crackers




There was a man taking his family on a vacation cruise. They were not wealthy people and could only afford their passage, but no more. Every night they would sit in their rooms and eat cheese and crackers for dinner. Finally the very last night on the boat, the father decided to splurge and take his family out to the dining area to eat. He asked the maire' d how much it would cost for his family to dine. "But sir," the shocked servant replied, "all meals were included in your ticket price."
I've made many decisions in my life based on money. "We only have this much money, so we can't have that," or, "We could never do that because it is way too expensive!" I realize that everyone has different reasons for spending money based on what they deem worthy. Clothes, cars, events, food, fun, looking good.


This weekend we were invited to a birthday party at a local fun-plex in our town. We had never taken our kids there before because it's so expensive. I told Jon that I'm tired of making decisions based on money. These were good friends and we wanted to be in their lives, so we went. When we got there, her mom bought my kids' tickets without hesitation. It was super fun! I'm so glad we didn't sit at home doing nothing when the provision was already taken care of!

Don't sit in your room eating cheese and crackers. Everything you need is already paid for. -a message from your Dad

6 comments:

Michele said...

I love this post! What a lesson. I've always made descisions according to money, but in the past 5 months I have been free of those thoughts (for the most part). It's amazing, but when we've had the least amount of money ever, I've had the least amount of worries. I've just learned to trust God more....hmmm. What a lesson!

Anonymous said...

LOVE all your blogs, why haven't you been blogging everyday, you have such great things to share! Keep it coming!

Joia said...

Very true my loves...very true!

xoxoxox
Aunt Joia

P.S. I love Davis's hippie hairstyle! precious!

Unknown said...

Rachel - I wanted to drop by and say hello (this is Leah McKinney)... I do read your blog but am not that great at always leaving comments. Thanks to you and Jon for keeping us posted on your lives. What exciting times. Just to encourage you, Ken and I relocated to San Francisco, CA this past summer, feeling called to leave the cozy suburbs of CO and live loving SF. God has proved himself faithful again and again for us and I know He's doing the same for you. Blessings to you!
www.xanga.com/wildlopa

jcubsdad said...

Cheese and crackers sustain....but God did not call us just to be sustained, he called us to thrive!

Awesome story Rachel. I am glad you and the kiddo's had such an amazing time. We always enjoy it when we splurge and go there!

Stacey said...

That is a great reminder. I am bad sometimes about worrying about money too much and usually when I give that worry to the Lord, He blesses us.

Thank you for the reminder. :o)