STUFF MART


I’ve often thought when I come back from a trip to Wal-Mart with several bags in tow, “Where does it all go?” I mean, really now, I have a 1300 square foot house. Where am I putting this stuff? Well, I’ve spent the last few months figuring that out.

When the Lord told us to get rid of our stuff, I didn’t realize he meant all of our stuff. I’ve gotten rid of things that six months ago I thought I would keep for my whole life. I’ve sold my mom’s dresser and most all of my kids’ toys. We’ve cleaned out our kitchen stuff so we now only have two small tubs of utensils and appliances (half of which is taken up by our coffee maker). I’ve given away 95% of our clothes and I’ve realized something very important. I don’t care.

Every time I go through someone’s clothes (again) to try to fit it all into one duffle bag, I start out thinking that I can’t get rid of this stuff. I like it too much. But then... I get rid of a big pile and realize, I don’t really even like that stuff. Funny, huh?

So we have a garage full of “Goodwill stuff” and a shrinking pile of boxes and tubs labeled MEXICO. I just want everyone reading this to know that this experience I just related to you has been one of the most freeing of my life. I have said many times in my life, “I would give up anything for You, Lord.” I'm glad He took me seriously. I don’t want stuff anymore. I just want Him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how a Veggie Tales Movie with Madedam Blueberry could convict us of our "stuff". We are proud of you and so excited as you follow the Lord to see what He has next! We love you!

jcubsdad said...

Amy and I are starting to remove stuff that we do not use and goodwilling a good portion of it. It is humbing, and it is very freeing!

This Mama said...

Rachel, you're so beautiful! Yours is the lasting beauty that makes people want to be around you and be like you.
What you wrote was totally convicting and humbling. Thank you for showing me Jesus today!
Love you.

Stacey said...

Rachel,

I want less stuff too! "Stuff" just clutters up our lives and causes us to stress/worry about it. Life would definitely be freer if we had less stuff.

Thank you for sharing.
Love ya
Stacey