Mini-missionaries



Sometimes I wonder if we're doing the best thing in bringing our kids on the mission field. I wonder if they will have problems adjusting, or be a hindrance in accomplishing our ministry. I wonder why God called us to the mission field now, in our lives, when we have these four little kids. I mean, is this really a good idea?

For some odd reason, every time we go out to eat lately, we get Mexican food. Our last few meals in America, and we can't stay north of the boarder. Last night, upon reccomendation, we sought out an "authentic" mexican restaraunt. Sure enough it was right on. Bright yellow paint, out of date calanders with maps of Mexico on the walls, and staff that spoke no English. I tried to make out some Spanish in ordering our food and got nothing from the two young, teenage men but blank looks. Both Jon and I tried to laugh and smile to communicate nonverbally, but these guys didn't budge. We had only Davis and Ax with us, so we let Davis sit on the counter so he could get to tell the man his order himself.

Suddenly, the young men came alive! They smiled and laughed at Davis' attempt at ordering. They spoke to each other in Spanish and enjoyed watching everything else Davis did. One of the guys even blew up a balloon and we all laughed together when it popped unexpectedly in his face. We left smiling and waving and all because of Davis.

In a culture where children are innocent and enjoyed, I realize that our children are missionaries too. In fact, they might just be the key to places that Jon and I could never get to on our own.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

You will be amazed by how much God uses your kids in Mexico. (there might even be times when you wonder if God brought you to Mexico or your kids) :o) The "language" of children is universal and in Mexico they LOVE their kids.

ell said...

So so true!! My kids are the door-openers for conversations and relationships 99.9% of the time! I don't know if I'd know what to do here if I didn't have them with me! Can't wait till you get here!